Monday, June 28, 2010

Airport Love

Yesterday, we went to pick my brother up from the airport. We haven’t seen him since early January but for some reason, it felt much longer than that to me. I remember when we picked him up last year; it was exactly on Christmas Day. And when he arrived, I remember the airport was quiet as most of those coming home for the holidays had already arrived. But yesterday, it was bustling with people…

My brother’s flight was supposed to arrive at 2:00PM and so we were there right on time. But as I just mentioned, the airport (at least the arrivals section) was packed! All kinds of people of all ages were there, some holding flowers and some holding balloons in their hands. And as I stood there in the middle of them all, I couldn’t help but feel the love…

A handsome man in his twenties had just arrived, and seconds later, a beautiful woman, also in her late twenties, ran to him with open arms. They embraced each other there for a long five minutes and he kept kissing her, and her him, and whispered words of love brought them closer… Minutes later, a young father arrived, and as soon as he caught sight of his family, he crouched down to the floor and opened his hands as his two young children ran to hug him. The children, not more that six years old, had the biggest smiles on their faces as they were united with their father who they apparently hadn’t seen in a long time… Then I turned around to see a woman with her baby girl just arriving. At first I thought she was looking in my direction but then I looked over my shoulder to see an elderly woman, her mother, coming up to her as tears welled in her eyes. She grabbed her and they hugged, tears rolling down both mother and daughter’s cheeks. Behind her stood her sister, who also began tearing at the sight of their reunion…

You know the airport love I’m most used to is the one in which people say goodbye, the departure (heart-breaking) love. But just as beautiful is the one in which people say hello, the arrival (heart-opening) love…

And as I stood there taking all this love in, my father nudged me, pointing at a boy in a blue shirt arriving. It was my brother, and we all went up to him to welcome him home, adding to the airport love… :-)

1 comment:

  1. yeah i know what you mean, one time i was at the airport and saw two love birds reunite, as they ran to each other as fast as they can with wide open eyes,the girl sweetly raised her hand and slapped him on the face and yelled" CHEATER"...ahh true love...theres nothing like it :P
    na but seriously great post nour!

    ReplyDelete